ALL STAR TEAM OF ABC FOUNDATION COLLEGE GRADUATES
A Better Chance Foundation celebrated its 12th anniversary recently and I noticed that we now have a group of 24 college graduates and that they are all employed or studying for advanced degrees. We feel very good about that because, after all, that has always been our long term goal, meaningful employment after a good education.
Those graduates who aren’t working have opted to go on to graduate school, or take review classes before taking their Board Examinations to be Professionals.
We now have 186 young men and women in college with scholarships from ABC Foundation, thus the number of our college grads will be increasing year by year until we eventually have around 50 a year graduating from colleges and universities.
So, back to the subject of the title: our All-Star Team of college graduates. We have:
1. Kristofer delas Penas, son of a carpenter and a seamstress, was one of our first Night High Scholars who passed the entrance exam and attended the University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City. His chosen major was BS Computer Science, and he breezed through college with excellent grades. After 4 years, he graduated with flying colors last March. He is now a Computer Science Instructor at UP, Diliman, while studying for his Master’s degree at the same time, this scholarships being granted by UP, Diliman.
2. Ivy Sedo, graduate of Meralco Foundation Institute majored in Instrumentation Engineering and is now working at ICI Systems, Inc., as a Sales and Marketing Associate. She is responsible for presenting her company’s products and equipments to potential clients, and also for visiting factories for equipment troubleshooting and maintenance.
She recently came back from a week long training in Vietman, sponsored by her company. She was awarded “Best in Class” from a group of 12 participants from all over the World during the training for getting the highest grades in examinations and conducting excellent presentation
3 Ivy’s sister Faye Sedo majored in Religious Education at Siena College, Taytay, Rizal, and is now a licensed teacher at Siena College, Taytay, Rizal. She teaches Christian Living and Values Education to grade 3 and 3rd year high school students. She is currently the president of the Elementary School Teachers’ Association at Siena College, Taytay, Rizal.
4. Rochelle Majarais was part of the first Night High class at Siena College, Taytay, Rizal. In college, ABC sponsored her as a Religious Education major at Siena College, Taytay, Rizal. She graduated in 2010 and passed her Licensure Examination for Teachers soon after. She is currently teaching Christian Living and Values Education to elementary and high school students at Siena College, Taytay, Rizal.
5. Mariel Pigtain was part of the 3rd Night High batch at Siena College, Taytay, Rizal. She studied Broadcast Communications at the Polytechnic University of the Philippines, and while there, interned at ABS-CBN, GMA Network, and Yes! FM 101.1. After graduating cum laude in 2012, Mariel worked briefly at ABC-CBN before moving to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).
6. Maureen Denise Alfonso from the Night High Class of 2009 at Siena College, Taytay, Rizal, was our second scholar to pass the UPCAT. She attended and graduated from the University of Manila and majored in BA Social Sciences. After graduation, she had plans of going on to graduate school for further studies.
7. Mark Anthony Cruz was a member of the Night High Scholars Class 2008 at Siena College Taytay, Rizal. He went on to become one of our college scholars, taking up BS Instrumentation and Control Engineering at the Rizal Technological University. After graduating in March 2013, he now works at the Mechanical Handling Equipment Company as Automation Engineer.
8. Catherine Cajoles belonged to our first batch of Night High scholars and graduated in 2007. She was also among our first college scholars and she studied BS Accounting at the Rizal Technological University. Catherine passed her Accounting Board Exams shortly after graduating and is now an accountant at Accenture Philippines.
9. Genesis Cruz was another one of our Accounting majors, who graduated cum laude from the Polytechnic University of the Philippines. He passed his Accounting Board Exams and now works at Prople, Inc., a Finance and Accounting firm.
More All-Stars will join this list in the years ahead as we have 739 scholars in Night High programs this school year.